Monday, August 12, 2013

Why I changed my mind on weed [Article]

Dr. Sanjay Gupta is a neurosurgeon, and the CNN's chief medical correspondent. He's been a strong & vocal critic of the medical application of the millenial-old plant known as cannabis, or marijuana. He recently came out with a documentary, and an apology:
I apologize because I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. I didn't review papers from smaller labs in other countries doing some remarkable research, and I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.
He has this to say:
We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States, and I apologize for my own role in that.
Of course, American lead on this matter has meant that the natural plant - eeed I say it, something that grows aplenty in nature! - has been made illegal around the globe, & helped create a thriving industry.