Monday, October 28, 2013

When their fictional ideas become real, how do science fiction authors cope? [Article]

Not without feeling like all their made up work will be obsolete, says science fiction author Charlie Stross:
well, I'm just boggling. I've got a subplot for this trilogy (no spoilers!) which I think is up there with anything reality can throw at us and which is hopefully funny, plausible, and crazy (but in an "it just might be true" kind of way). Only now, I'm getting a sick feeling in my stomach. One month before publication, there's going to be a bombshell revelation and an ancient festering spyware secret will surface, blinking in the light of day like half-mummified groundhogs (Secret Squirrel need not apply!) and my satirical thriller will be obsolete.
Bonus link from that article